Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hallowelections!

Paul writes in the book of Romans for everyone to submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.  (Romans 13:1) Simply meaning God's in control so trust in him.  God is greater than the government that is in place, or the government that is going to take control.

If you've been hiding under a rock with your fingers plugged in your ears while screaming lalalalala you might not know that it is election day back in the states, and everyone here in Guatemala is all a buzz.  It's as if their country is electing a new president.  I was able to vote by mail in ballot about two weeks ago, so hopefully my ballot arrived in on time.  Before I sent in my ballot I showed each one of my classes what it looked like so they could understand what it takes to vote.  (For some of the amendments it takes a masters degree in political science to know what you are voting for.)  With all of the buzz and excitement in the air about the elections I am also sensing a little bit of fear.  
It almost seems like the election process is as scary as Halloween to some people.  People are likening one candidate to the boogie man and then the other to Chuckie.  I've read a couple of facebook statuses saying that you need to vote for one candidate or you're not a true American or Christian.  That sounds like fear and bad logic to me.  I don't think fear is an appropriate response to the coming change, cause God's in control.  I don't like change much, but I am learning to trust God with my future.  I took a big risk in coming down to another country to teach.  God has been with me the entire time I've been down here.  I came down here alone, leaving all of my friends behind.  Since arriving down here God's blessed me with a few friends.  And I say if God can look after me, a rather insignificant person in the scheme of the world, how much more do you think he's concerned with the United States of America.  

Yet fear and hatred still exists between the parties.  Does that amount to a lack of trust in God?  Yes, I have an opinion on they way I think the government should work, but in the end does it really matter?  Jesus says in Mark twelve that the most important thing for me to do as a follower is to "love the lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind and with all my strength," and the second greatest thing for me to do is to "love my neighbor as myself."  There are probably a thousand different ways to honor him and love my neighbor, but no matter what way I do it, what matters is that I'm loving those around me and honoring God while doing it.  I believe this is what is important and I am pretty sure that I can love my neighbor no matter who is my president.  

So this is what I'm going to do.  I am going to trust in God and believe that he will bring everything around for his glory no matter what happens.  There is no reason to treat election day like Halloween.  

4 comments:

Eugene C. Scott said...

Great reminder.

It's also really cool that you are educating your students about life in the States as well.

How do we conquer that fear of the future? That fear of things not going our way?

Thanks, Brens.

Katie said...

I agree with Dad. Great reminder Brens. God is in control, no matter what. You are awesome and I can tell God is deepening your faith and dependence on Him.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this. You had some really good points. Thanks...our prayers continue for you in your adventure! Love, Linda

Linc said...

Cool - and I agree - there is a lot of fear-based motivation going on right now. Good analysis!