Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!



It's Easter Sunday and I just returned from a week in El Salvador. I spent my spring break, or Semana Santa as it is called in the Latin culture, relaxing on a beach. In case you didn't notice, I spent holy week in the country of The Savior. What a great reminder that Jesus has risen! The fact he rose from the dead saves me from the sting of death. I really like that fact.

Besides being the country of our Savior, El Salvador has well paved roads, beautiful people, and amazing beaches. I traveled down to El Salvador with two other teachers. We spent the first few days in Suchitoto, the old capital, and then finished off our trip at El Zonte, the beach town. Sitting on the beach with a good book is probably the best way to pass time, at least I think so. After finishing Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer's account of the 1996 Everest disaster, I decided that living in Guatemala is enough of an adventure for me. I like being able to breathe. And now I've been digging into The Poissonwood Bible, a fictional account of some missionaries to the congo. They travel to the Congo to offer Christ's salvation, but forget that that salvation is a gift of grace and love and not something you have to work for. I'm glad God has taught me about his grace and I'm not trying to work for my salvation.

My salvation came on the first Easter Sunday a very long time ago. I don't have to climb the highest mountain in the world to find my self-worth or save a thousand Guatemalans to know that Christ loves me. He died for me while I was still a sinner and he rose from the dead setting me free from all my failures. That is what Easter is all about. Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Eugene C. Scott said...

Great reminder about our salvation. Fun pictures. This blog was also very well edited. You should double the pay for your editor.

Unknown said...

Awesome summary Brendan. Sounds like things are really coming together for you in Guatamala. Always love reading about your adventures and insights. I know your family is really looking forward to visiting you. See you this summer, I'm sure! Praying for your continued guidance, both for you and your fellow teachers, and for the blessed children who you are sharing your lives with.

Katie said...

Brens,
Thanks as always for an enjoyable blog! I love reading about what God is doing in your life and how he is teaching you in s many ways. I read the Poisonwood Bible on my way to Europe. You will have to let me know what you think about it!